Friday, March 11, 2011

eSports – Whats worth watching?

Well it’s been a while since IEM now and I’ve had the chance to watch quite a bid of the sc2 games but not really that much of the other games, which made me wonder a bid about which games are actually worth / fun to watch as an eSport.

Well the ones I’ve watched on a regular basis at some point or the other is:
Starcraft/BW
Warcraft 3/TFT
Starcraft 2,

Stuff I’ve seen a glimpse of:
Wow Arena
Counter-Strike
Street Fighter IV
FIFA

And well the stuff I’ve only seen a glimpse off I either found to be too confusing to watch while not playing or just boring to watch.

Wow Arena seems a bit to confusimg even though i've played my fair share of wow, also I don’t belive it would appeal to the masses you really need to be into it.

The same goes for SF IV and CS if you don’t know what it’s all about it really makes you lose intrest SF IV seems to be the same moves over and over again until you catch an opponent off frame and as a spectator you really cant see when / how that happens uness you are playing at a really high level yourselvf.

FIFA on the other hand is something people can easaily relate to but it really just seems dull to watch.

Of the games ive only seen a glimpse off CS seemed the most fun to watch for 2 reasons.
1 I do know the game and therefore I understand the lingo and even though I haven’t played for quite some years and i by no means where good at it, I feel like “I get it”.
2 They are really good at going beyond the game, it's not just the game it’s the team the players, you watch the players and the teams quite a bit and you follow them as competetors and see their ups and downs the team cheering etc, which really involves you as a spectator and makes it fun to watch.

And really that second part is really what have been missing a lot, you cant just cast games or show games, unless people really are at a competent level and knows the games really well the game alone is just not interesting enough for newer or none players to actually want to watch it.

Your need players like Ace pointing at the trophy and back to himself you need the cheering of fans you need to see their intense look and the rivalry between teams and players, this is what is going to make gaming appeal to the masses.

TL:DR?
Make games /eSports appeal to the masses by going more in depth on a personal level of the player and team and not just show the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment