Friday, March 5, 2010

Late Game.., not happening?

When thinking back on the original starcraft, some of the absolute best games I’ve had have been some of the longer games, where a game lasted from 30 min up to even an hour absolutely hectic games throughout the whole game.

In sc2 The Avg. game time is quite low I rarely get beyond the 12 min mark.
I don’t think I’ve had a game go into anything I would call a late game and the amount of games ive had where I actually got an expansion up and running without the coming push completely annihilating me can be counted on one hand, so basically Late game rarely occurs.

From my perspective there are 4 major reasons for this.

1: The Meta game hasn’t been developed yet:
Meaning if you want to get a Late game going you need I be aware of all possible timing attacks, knowing what counters it and when to scout for it, and the fact that a lot of players have no idea when they should do the timing attack it even makes countering it harder because you cant really anticipate what is going to happen at this point, There for going on an all in timing attack yourselvf hoping not to hit a hard counter seems to be the way most people approach the game because you have a larger chance for success then going in defensively and try to counter “everything”.
This will of course change as the players develops build orders and strategies for the game. So everything will become a lot more predictable.

2: Static defence is a lot weaker in SC2 then the original
I am actually biting my own tong for even writing this because I really HATED some of the static defences in the original, it where tremendously hard breaking a Terran fortification, but now it just feels like you can basically ignore it, and that isn’t fun either this needs to be balanced so its still a threat but not a complete game stopper like the original, right now it feels to weak.

3: High ground advantage:
High ground advantage is all but gone, you get some sight bonus but after the games ive had both 1 on 1 and 2 vs 2’s it really isn’t much of an advantage, the opponent gets sight almost straight away and gives 100% dmg rather then the original getting sight whenever something shoots and then having a large chance to miss.
In the old game having high ground meant something and it could turn a game around in sc2 you end up totally ignoring the high / low ground.
What i would like here is to see the old system back, this really is a way to get comebacks into a game and for watching games where comebacks are possible is a lot more fun and interesting then knowing who is going win after the first battle due to not being able to get any kind of upper hand as in high ground defence.

4: Micro not mattering enough
Its still only 3 weeks old and I’m not really writing the game of as of lacking micro or not being micro intense as I have seen other people do because there is a lot of possibilities for micro, but the problem from my point of view is that it doesn’t feel like you are getting rewarded enough for doing it.

An Example of the above problematic is I’ve had some Protoss games where I went for a 2 gate semi teching build getting around 5 zealots and 4 stalkers, when the enemy Protoss player engaged my ramp where my 5 zealots are holding position and my 4 stalkers hitting them from the high ground, but the 10 zealots still managed to get through the 2 lines of hold pos defence and after killing my zealots he could go straight to my 4 stalkers and even while attempting to micro them and get them killed off the zealots can get reinforced quite quick and even if i get the zealots killed of and 2 new zealots in pos at the ramp it feels impossible to hold back the next incoming waves / reinforcements of the other player, a 3 gate zeal stormp vs 2 gate tech zeal/stalker with high ground advantage the 2 gater should in my opinion win the battle without to much of a hassel.

And yeah i might not be the best player so my micro probably isn’t perfect but if you need absolutely perfect micro to be able to 2 gate and survive, then you are going to have short games because almost everyone will do the rush due to the difficulty required to defend.

Sorry about the wall of text I promise I will make the next posts a lot shorter :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment